Thursday, April 26, 2007

An enlightening take on wet nursing

Honestly, I don't know what I think of wet nursing. On one hand, I like the idea of babies getting breastmilk even if they are born to the 2% of women who can't (many women who believe they "can't" could if given correct information). At the same time, what about the nurses' own children? I know the job has been used to exploit the poor in the past. In truth, the risks associated with it are not what some would like the public to believe. Medically, formula is actually inferior to breastmilk from another mother (either at the breast or in a bottle).

I could ramble a bit more, but I won't. I honestly don't know how I feel about the topic which has suddenly been tossed into the mainstream (an article in Time, a segment on the Today Show, etc.).

Then I was directed to this site and this entry: Who Said Wet Nursing is Hip AND Funny.

Wow! She raises some fabulous points.

I think that's a blog I need to add to my linky goodness.

No comments: