Saturday, April 14, 2007

Petsmart, thou art my nirvana

I don't usually post on Shabbat, but I'm making an exception today.

Right after I posted last night, I figured, "Screw this. I'm going out." The cats are out of food, so I rounded up the kids and headed to Petsmart.

It was raining, so I grabbed them all and ran for the door (there were no close parking spaces because everyone knows Joe Schmoe in his Lexus with his yorkie needs to be as close to the door as humanly possible. The woman with three kids including a babe in arms, though, she can schlep in the rain and wind). The Boy lost his shoe in the wet parking lot, but a lovely lovely dear of a woman overheard me grumbling about it and SHE WENT AND GOT IT FOR ME. I thanked her 5 or 6 times.

We had fun staring at the cute animals (and even the not so cute ones).

Then, we went on the great cat food hunt. I'm never sure what to get the fuzzies. Our vet wants us to buy the ridiculously expensive stuff from them, but we're not big fans of that. A CSR came over to help. I asked what they had that filled our need. She showed me to a brand that was not overly expensive nor was it a Nestle brand (we don't do Nestle). Then she showed me that they even carry a light version of the same food. Our chubby fuzzies need that. And THEN she even handed me a coupon for $1 off that brand. Sometimes, all it takes to turn my day around is a baby's shoe and someone who directs me to reasonably priced healthy food that isn't directly responsible for the death of thousands of babies.

After that, it was pouring like crazy, but we didn't have far to go. We met friends for dinner and had a good time.

Oh and I started reading Parenting As A Spiritual Journey. It's been on my bookshelf for at least a year or two, but I just haven't read it. I sat down with it last night and I'm impressed. I want to share a bit with you, but the Boy is currently voicing his displeasure with the state of affairs in our household, so I'll do that later.

11 pm edit: The kids are in bed, so here's that bit I wanted to share:

"...All the theology I'd studied would not help me raise my children. But it might work the other way. Rising children might help me learn something about G-d. Theologians spend most of their time in their studies. But the best ones, I noticed, had done some fieldwork in living. I would do mine at play groups."

I think that sums the book up nicely thus far. It's written by a rabbi, but it doesn't stick to one particular religion. She speaks of parents of many faiths (or none at all). What I've read up to this point has been pretty interesting. It's been a pretty engrossing and quick read. So far, I'd say I recomend it.

No comments: