Saturday, December 23, 2006

The war on Chanukah

I'm sure you've all heard of the ridiculous "war on Christmas." Just because some people say, "Happy Holidays," instead of wishing everyone (including people who don't celebrate the day) a "Merry Christmas," people insist we are heathens who hate G-d and are out to destroy Christmas.

My feelings are this (in brief): Not everyone celebrates Christmas. Even if you do celebrate Christmas, there's also New Year in there. Holiday means "Holy day," so why pitch a fit?

Granted, a Christmas tree is a CHRISTMAS tree. It is NOT a holiday tree. The other day, dh and I saw something on t.v. where Santa was referring to a "holiday" something or other. Dh said, "He's Santa. He's a Christmas figure. Just call it Christmas." I have no issue with calling things their correct names. If it's a Christmas symbol, calling it something else won't change that.

I also have no issue with trying to respect every one's religious beliefs. Wishing me a "Happy Holiday" will in no way knock you down a notch on the Christian ladder.

In short:
"Holiday tree" = stupid
"Happy Holidays" = respectful

Now here's what prompted this post. On a message board, I shared a picture of the family lighting the candles. I specifically referred to us celebrating "Chanukah." FIVE DIFFERENT PEOPLE wished us a "Merry Christmas." (one of those wished a "Merry Xmas"). WTF?

Now I understand that some people don't get the whole Jewish thing. Some people assume we celebrate both. We don't. Yet those posts ONLY wished us a "Merry Christmas." There was no mention of Chanukah (the subject of the post and very obvious subject of the picture) at all.

Granted, the vast majority of people wished us a "Happy holidays," and I really do appreciate the warm wishes. I'm just baffled by the Christmas stuff. What are people thinking?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeeze. I mean, just, jeeeze. Happy Chanukah!

The Crib Chick said...

I don't know, but I just read your post below this one, and had to give you a virtual nod for this...

"The real miracle of Chanukah isn't that a flame burned for 8 days. The real miracle is that Chanukah flames still burn over 2000 years later. Judah Macabee lit a flame, but it's our children who kindle that same fire today. THAT is the miracle of Chanukah."

That is *beautiful*. And it *is* a miracle.

tg said...

I'm with you on "Happy Holidays." I'm totally okay with that. The one I hate with a passion is "Season's Greetings." To me, that's roughly the equivalent of walking up to someone with a big goofy smile on your face, and saying in a loud, cheerful voice "Appropriate Remark!" And I hope your Chanukah was blessed and beautiful.