Saturday, December 30, 2006

Saddam is dead.
I'm terrified.

First and foremost, let me admit that I have no definite stand on capital punishment. Most times, I lean towards the opposition. Then again, I don't believe sex offenders can be rehabilitated and I think that the truly horrid ones are better off dead so that there's absolutely no chance of them ever hurting anyone else.

I agree Saddam Husein was an awful man, but I wonder what good his death will do. History is full of mediocre men who were damn near canonized simply because they were killed. One can easily become a martyr. All you have to do is die. Your followers will write and rewrite your story to fit their needs.

I'm holding my breath. Dh is scared. What will this mean for our military? How many more attacks will we see in retaliation? Will Stop Loss be reinstated? Will our friends who have just come home be sent back? Will our friends who are there be more likely to be injured? Will dh have to go back again? What now?

I don't know what to think. On one hand, I see Iraqis celebrating and I hear that they feel safer now. On the other hand, I wonder how safe they'll feel when the next retaliation car bomb explodes on their street.

2 comments:

tg said...

Yeah, I'm scared too.

Anonymous said...

wanted to share an interesting radio program I heard. http://www.israelnationalradio.com/

Listen to the Jan 2 Tamar Yonah show.