Saturday, September 09, 2006

Adventures in organized sports

Ours was a brief adventure. The girls went to 2 practices. They were the youngest ones on the team. They were completely clueless and just asking for a bonk on the head (they weren't paying attention AT ALL out there).

The cost is phenomenal and it's a bigger commitment then I realized. They would have to practice at least twice a week, sometimes 3, plus they'd have at least game a week in addition to practices. And every practice and game are planned either during The Boy's nap or after his bedtime. The two practices we went to were a hassle with him. I can't imagine doing that 3-4 times a week.

We're gonna plan on playing around with them to help them learn the basics (silly me sent my kids to practice thinking they'd learn the sport there. Instead, I find a bunch of 5 and 6-year-olds who are apparently training for the freaking Olympics. There's no time to actually teach two kids the game when everyone else on the team already excells at it). We'll try again next year.

The girls did say they had fun, though. I'm all about introducing them to new and diverse experiences, so hey, good for them.

No comments: