Saturday, December 08, 2007

"Waiting for the world to change" from the deaf perspective

I LOVE this video.

While my children are hearing, I've mentioned that they have an affinity for Leah Coleman who is deaf. My kids know some ASL and they adore the Signing Time DVDs (They got the latest set yesterday for Chanukah and are thrilled by this fact. TheBoy even grinned, signed "Sign" and said, "Time," when he saw them). They've never met Leah IRL, but they insist she is their friend (her little sister Lucy too). My girls have explained to me that they're learning ASL so that they can talk to Leah.

Years and years ago, I damn near worshiped Linda from Sesame Street. I don't know why, but she and her language just fascinated me. When I was a kid, my mother got her hair done every week with Linda's mother and I thought that was the coolest thing in the world.


Language has always fascinated me. Notice one of the quotations I featured in my last Thursday Thirteen:

  • "Only where there is language is there world."-Adrienne Rich

I'm also compelled by injustice. When I watched this video, I was just horrified by some of the quotations in there regarding those who are deaf. It's just disgusting. At the same time, I'm thrilled by watching the folks in this video perform. That little girl especially just makes me smile.

Go watch this video. It's eye-opening and very neat.



No comments: