Saturday, October 13, 2007

A rant inspired by my niece


No, my niece didn't do anything to cause the rant. Actually, we were just commiserating over the fact that we both find a certain behavior to be very annoying.

I greatly dislike it when people try to blame their own irresponsibility/stupidity on G-d's will. He laid the rules. We need to follow them. I'm not even talking about the 613 mitzvot or even the Noahide laws. I'm referring to the basic laws of nature.

If someone does not want to conceive a child, but is not using any form of birth control, then if they get pregnant, don't blame it on G-d's will. It was their will. I wish they'd stop blaming G-d for their laziness.

We have free will for a reason, folks. We get to enjoy it, but with it comes a great responsibility. We must live our lives in a way that takes the laws of nature into account.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." You can slap a nametag on it which proclaims the situation, "G-d's will," but that doesn't change the fact that it's really someone else's irresponsibility in disguise.

No comments: