Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Yanking the chain.

Dear world (or at least the idiots),

Don't hit "send." Please do not send that forward to 50-some-odd people. Before you do, head to snopes to check it out. Don't make your friends freak out about the missing Ashley Flores. Don't urge people to burn their Swiffer Wet Jets because it killed some non-existant dog. And oh my stars and garters, please don't forward on that stupid urban legend about the gangs and flashing headlights. And for the love of all that is good in the world (namely insanely expensive mocha frappacinos), don't tell your buddies that Starbucks doesn't support our troops.

I can't stand getting this crap. It takes 10 seconds to head to snopes, type in a key word or two, and chances are you'll find that the e-mail you're about to forward is completely and utterly false.

I hate misinformation. I hate it with a passion. I hate misinformation so much I'd like to beat it with a stick--a large one with spikes. So I think there's a special place in hell (well, I would if I believed in a hell) for those who pass misinformation off as fact (to EVERYONE in their address book).

Snopes is your friend. That far-fetched sounding e-mail about how G-d will hate you if you don't immediately forward it to 15 of your friends, however, is not.

5 comments:

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

I can't STAND useless forwards!!!

Kamrin said...

Waht?!? Does that mean I gave up coffee, and quit flashing my headlights while out driving around looking for lost children for no reason?!? Dang. I love the getting the Christian ones. I am like "Hello? Are you even looking at who you are sending this to?"

Pixie LaRouge said...

As usual, your pithy and pellucid prose hit the dick on the head... I mean, hit the nail on the head. Yeah, that's what I meant to type ;)

lacochran said...

Great minds... :)
lacochran.blogspot.com