Friday, August 11, 2006

Me want cookie.

Why is it with tiny babies, we're told food is so very important, but when that baby gets a bit older, no one seems to care that food is potentially very dangerous?

People insist moms can't/shouldn't exclusively breastfeed because how else is dad supposed to bond? We all know that in this society, food = love. Everyone seems to forget that daddy can hold the baby, rock the baby, change the baby, bathe the baby, cuddle the baby, sing to the baby, change the baby again, dance with the baby, read to the baby, etc. No, to listen to some people, you'd think food is the be all end all in a baby's life.

So why is it that someone gave my baby a cookie without my permission and they thought nothing of it? The policy at the gym nursery is absolutely no food or drinks. Well, that's largely ignored. Apparently a little girl gave The Boy an animal cracker. Did they take it away from him? Did they remind the girl's mother about the food policy? No, they let my baby--my not yet started on solids baby--my family history of food allergies baby eat that cookie. "Oh," the head woman there insisted, "He didn't really eat it. He just chewed at it and made a mess." How she thought he chewed on it and didn't eat any of it is beyond me.

Food is obviously a life source, but it can also be a death sentence. This cookie had wheat, dairy, and eggs--all things that your average everyday child is advised not to have for the first 12 months, but it's imperative that a child with a family history of food allergies not be exposed to these things. More than one study suggests a connection between dairy and diabetes. There is one study from around 2003 that found a child had a higher risk of developing type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes when they were exposed to dairy before the first year. My brother has Type 1 Diabetes. My daughters and my niece were all very dairy sensitive. My girls were until after their second birthday, my 4-year-old niece is only now starting to outgrow it.

Remember, food allergies can kill. What is just a simple cookie to one person can cause another person to go into anaphylactic shock.

It just baffles my mind that some people can't grasp that.

No comments: