Thursday, November 08, 2007

I *heart* handmade.

Perhaps you've noticed the new image over there on the left. I'm all about handmade things lately. The recent toy recalls have frightened me and made me look around for handmade alternatives.

You'll notice I have added quite a few blogs from creative folks in the past few weeks. I'm being drawn deeper and deeper into the craft side. :-)

I'm planning on making gifts not only for my kids, but for friends' kids as well. Nothing will be show room quality, but they'll be cute in a folksy (aka: I still can't use a sewing machine and so everything is hand stitched and not always well) kind of way.

The good news is that I've heard reports that others are doing the same. I'm thrilled to report that my sister has ventured into making Waldorf dolls. I actually scoured the internet a month or two ago in an attempt to find some for the bigger kids. They're way beyond my level of craftiness and the prices were more than I was willing to spend. So when my sister told me she plans on making some for my kids, I could have kissed her.

I'm really looking forward to this holiday season. I love the idea of not only making things for my kids, but of getting handmade gifts as well. They really do mean so much more than the standard store bought plastic crap...um...er....toys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to learn how to make the Waldorf dolls so bad! I went to our local little library and they didn't have any book there, I have to go to the big library downtown, but I am on a mission! Handmade all the way!