Sunday, November 12, 2006

Veterans Day

I wanted to post about Veterans' Day, but honestly, I just don't have the words. Yes, that's very strange to admit. I always have something to say, including (or maybe especially) those times when I should just shut up and sit down. I just can't find a way to put all my thoughts into a cohesive entry that really lets you inside my mind.

I can't explain my thoughts, so maybe I'll tell you about my actions. I honored the day with my family.

My husband is so many things. There are so very many sides to him and he plays so many roles. It sometimes baffles me that in addition to everything else, he is a veteran. It's been a part of our lives for years, so it shouldn't be a shock, but every once in a while, the reality of it hits me. It's only then when I can fully realize how very blessed I am.

Regardless of my feelings toward this conflict (and administration), I recognize that we celebrate the many freedoms we have thanks to the sacrifice of veterans.

My husband is a good man. My husband is a veteran. My husband is safe. My husband is home.

Baruch Atah Adonai Elohaynu Melech Ha'olam Sheheyanu Vikeeyamanu v'heegeyanu lazman hazeh
Blessed are You O L-rd Our G-d Ruler of the Universe who has enabled us to see this joyous day.

We went to an event yesterday where I read a mother's account of losing her son to the Iraqi conflict. Her story was accompanied by a picture of the man smiling in his desert BDUs, the same uniform my husband wore every day until one week ago.

I felt my eyes tear up, but for the first time in a long time, I didn't have to fight the tears back. I didn't have to worry about being the strong single parent while dh was away. I didn't have to run to the computer in the evening and type up a short e-mail telling dh I loved him (in which I couldn't possibly explain what lead to the blubbering love e-mail because you just don't write about death to those who are deployed).

Instead, I walked over to my husband, I hugged him, I cried, I kissed him and then I told him I loved him.

That is how I spent my Veterans' Day.

1 comment:

Kamrin said...

Just knowing what you and your family has gone through has brought a new meaning to the day. Normally, I take the kids down to the Capital ceremony at the Veteran's Memorial. This year we just planted poppies and talked about families and how much they miss the soldiers. I cry each time I think about your hubby being home. My relief and joy surprises me. I guess I didn't realize just how much I missed him and was thinking of him. Please give him a big tearful hug from me and tell him I "love" him too!