Monday, August 24, 2009

The ecological impact

Yesterday, while at a consignment sale, the big mountain of bottles caught my eye. There was a big long table full of them. I was really struck by just how much plastic there was. This was from only a small fraction of the mothers who bottle-feed. The pile was enormous.

I've heard (and talked) about breastfeeding being the "greener" alternative even way back when "green" only meant the difficult color Kermit memorialized in song. There's no packaging to dispose of. There's no factories needed. There are fuel-burning waste-producing trucks needed to transport anything. There's no (or limited) need for bottles to take up landfills. Still, it wasn't until I stood in front of that table yesterday that it really hit me.

Wow. Just wow.

No comments: