Saturday, February 14, 2009

Kids say the darnest things: Questioning Existence

After my shower, TheBoy came over to kiss the baby (aka my stomach). It was very cute. Then he noticed I was topless and asked, "Is da baby in your nipple?" I assured him that the baby was not, but I pointed out that the baby would nurse from my nipple. He added, "When da baby is born."

This conversation followed:

Me: Yes. You nursed when you were a baby and your sisters did when they were babies. This baby will too.
TheBoy: I not born anymore.
Me: Yes you are. Once you're born, you can't go back.
TheBoy: I not a baby anymore.
Me: No, you're a big kid.
TheBoy(proudly): I'm a big kid.
Me: Yep.
TheBoy: I don't exist?

At this point, I asked him three times to repeat himself to make sure I heard him correctly. I had. I assured him that he does, in fact, exist.

Again, this child is 3. What in the hell am I going to do with him in 10 years?

3 comments:

Iluska Ikeda said...

You've got a budding philosopher in your hands. Good luck! (^_^)

Phyllis Sommer said...

good luck with that one:-)

Jenn said...

Funny, you just never know what they are going to come out with!

My hubby was in the military for 10 years and is out now, we are in the same boat trying to find our way and where is going to be the place we will stay and raise our kids.

Our son turned 1 on the 12th and we our due in July.