Tuesday, February 24, 2009

And the mess gets messier

This has been at the head of a very bad mood of mine recently. After carefully planning and being responsible all these years, we're in trouble.

Dh just found out that his company has lost the client who supplies 90% of his work. He's ALREADY down to 1/3 his usual pay.

Just figuring our mortgage and basic grocery bills, his current pay doesn't cut it.

Add to the fact that dh's knees are really bothering him lately (military injury, but they won't cover the cost of any care), but he won't see a doctor in large part because of the cost. And add to that the fact that we have three children, soon to be 4. We have a baby on the way very very soon. What happens if this birth doesn't work out and I wind up in the hospital with another c-section? We have insurance, but we won't be able to cover our portion.

Dh has already been looking for a new job, but with no luck. I've been searching around the house trying to find any newer items we can return and instead use the refund for groceries or more necessary items. I'm planning on selling my kids' toys out from under them because we need the money. But that won't be enough.

Does he go back to Active duty and this time, I stand there with FOUR crying children as the military sends him off for yet another deployment? Do we raise yet another baby who thinks "Daddy," is a telephone? Will they even take him back with the injuries they caused, but refused to acknowledge at the time (they "lost" his medical paperwork documenting the cause of the injuries)? Can he stand to go back to that way of life? Is Active duty even an option?


What do we do? What can we do? Now what?

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'll think of you today when I shed tears for different reasons.

Heather

Robin said...

Oh Reiza, I'm so sorry. What a crappy crappy situation. I hope a light appears very soon at the end of your tunnel.

Emily said...

Hi, I've been following you on Twitter for a while. I just wanted to say that I feel for your situation and will keep you and your family in our prayers. God never closes a door unless He also opens a window.

TheFeministBreeder said...

Sorry Reiza, I wish I'd seen this awhile ago. This sucks. I'm sorry. I know money troubles are the absolute worst kind. Just know that things always work out somehow. It always seems like things manage to figure themselves out. John used to freak out about money ALL the time... to the point that it made him sick and miserable. I told him "what's the worst that can happen? seriously? We could lose our house and go bankrupt and end up living on food stamps.. Okay? So?It's not like one of us would be dead, or something. As long as we have each other and the kids, nothing is that god-awful." In times like these I try to think about the Indian slums where those people don't have clean water or even floors, and living on food stamps or government housing seems like a pretty good Worst Case Scenario.

It will all be okay. Somehow.