Monday, October 12, 2009

It's been called a, "Handful," but never an, "Honor."

I have four children. That's what we always wanted. During my last pregnancy, people apologized to me for the fact that I was having yet another one. Everyone wanted to tell me how rough it would be. People just love to ask, Have you figured out what causes that?" The most common phrase people use when they see us all out is, "You sure have your hands full!" They've been saying this ever since my twins were born and they were my first (and second) children. I usually bite my tongue because you never know what other people are going through, but I always think, "Better full than empty."

We don't consider our family to be all that large, but others seem to be absolutely shocked that we have oh so very many (insert eye roll) children.

So, on Simchat Torah, when we were HONORED for bringing the most children rather than ostracized for it, I felt wonderful.

I love Simchat Torah--love it. It's one of my very favorite holidays. This year, was probably the best yet. My oldest daughters did Israeli dancing with the adults and they sang with their Hebrew school (and did so wonderfully. My oldest daughter really surprised me with her poise and her knowledge). TheBaby fell asleep in my arms after nursing. She slept through all the singing and dancing, but I danced around with her in my arms anyway. TheBoy grabbed flags and ran and danced around with the others. My husband slunk back and tried to hide because he's not a big dancer and doesn't much like the spotlight (yes, it's true what they say about opposites attracting).

Before all the singing and dancing, though, the rabbi announced that the family with the most children in attendance would be called up to open the ark. That was us. So we all went up to do that. It was so nice to honored rather than pitied.

3 comments:

Mari said...

It's not pity - it's fear mixed with a little bit of awe! Fear because some of us don't think we could be strong enough to manage 4 kids. Trust me - pity's got NOTHING to do with it. :)

Phyllis Sommer said...

what an incredible way to honor your family! i love that.

i'm with you - I thank God every day that my hands are full rather than empty.

The Little Miss said...

oh Im sorry people tell you that! Thats sad!!! I almost lost my son (he drowned) ...he was actually dead when we pulled him out of the pool. Yes...they CAN be a handful and hard...sometimes you go a couple hours without taking a shower...and I should find sometime to pluck my eyebrows..haha but its a gift from God these kids and everyday that we have them. My son is a miracle...I have it on one of my blogs if you want to see what happend!!!

Check out my blog for a giveaway! :)
xoxo
Priscila
littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com