Monday, February 11, 2008

The cupcakes are calling me.

We don't usually do anything for Valentine's Day. First of all, it's really a Christian thing and we, very much, are not. Secondly, ever since high school, I have felt like it's a scam created by the greeting card industry in an attempt to coerce us into buying shiny, red, and/or sparkly crap we don't really need. Because nothing says, "I love you," like an armful of dead flowers. Besides, we should tell our nearest and dearest we love them all the time, not just on one anointed day simply because Hallmark told us to.

Ever since I had children, though, that has started to change. We're no longer bound to the Hallmarkian idea that the day is about showing off your love in some grand fashion. Instead, it's about hand-colored cards for your friends and cutting out heart decorations for the house.

In addition to all this, for some unknown reason, I've had cupcakes on the brain lately. And so, today, we headed to Target to grab some cake mix, frosting and those little paper cupcake cups so that the kids and I can make cupcakes for Valentine's Day.

Completely OT, but would someone please explain to me why Target brand Jello is kosher, but Wal-Mart's is not even though the majority of Wal-Mart's store brand items are?

So a cake mix, frilly paper cups, and pink vanilla frosting (with sprinkles) are all playing nicely in my kitchen. The problem is, we got them for Valentine's Day. That would be Thursday. Today is only Monday. My stomach, however, pays no heed to calendars. I want those freaking cupcakes.

This is going to prove to be very very difficult.

If you should find me covered in pink frosting and sprinkles, please don't tell my kids. Shhhhh. If you keep my secret, I promise to share the love in cupcake form.

2 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

lol! we don't do so much valentine's stuff around here either but making cute cupcakes is always in fashion imho.

Robin said...

Mmmm... cupcakes.

We don't do Valentine's Day either (though the merchants are now trying hard to bring it in - blech!), but my son's birthday is tomorrow so I'm surrounded by cupcakes, chocolate balls and cake all week long!